Leave a Lasting Legacy through a Bequest!
Thank you for your interest in the important mission of United Way of York County. Every gift is important to us and shows that you share our vision. If United Way is one of your most important charitable causes, you can make it part of your legacy. When you remember United Way of York County in your will, you leave a lasting legacy to your values as you help continue our work far into the future.
Many of us believe our estate may be too small to make a difference, or that preparing a will is an unnecessary expense. The preparation of a will need not be expensive, and every gift can change lives. Already have a will click here?
Why Should You Include a Charitable Gift in Your Will?
1. It's simple to do. It can be as easy as adding one sentence in your will. See example bequest language.
2. You can change your mind. During your lifetime, you can amend anything you choose, i.e., beneficiaries, amounts, etc.
3. Tax-wise, it could be beneficial. Gifts to qualified charitable organizations reduce the value of your estate for estate tax purposes.
4. It's an easy way to support United Way of York County, and we'd be grateful for your gift. Bequests of every size build our future financial strength.
How would you include a gift in your will or revocable trust depends on what you want to accomplish, and what you want to give to United Way of York County. Here are some options:
1. Give a percentage of your estate - e.g., "I give 25% of the net value of my estate as finally determined for federal estate tax purposes to United Way of York County."
2. Give a percentage of the residue of your estate - the amount left after specific bequests have been given to individuals and organizations; e.g., "I give 25% of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate to United Way of York County."
3. Give a specific dollar amount or item of property - e.g., "I give United Way of York County $25,000" or "I give United Way of York County 100 shares of IBM stock."
Now that you've chosen how your bequest will come to us, you also have a say in how it will be used and acknowledged here:
1. Make the gift unrestricted -Your gift will be used for the top priority need identified by the United Way of York County leadership and Board of Directors
2. Make the gift restricted - Your gift will support an interest area of your choosing, i.e., education, income or health
3. Memorialize or honor a loved one - "This gift is made in memory of my loving wife, a loyal contributor and friend of United Way of York County."
Let us know of your plans.
Please contact Barb Wentworth, President & CEO at 207-985-3359 to let us know when you have made plans for such a gift. We would love the opportunity to thank you for your generous act.
Already have a will? It's not too late to include United Way of York County, here's why.
A simple codicil may be all that is need to make adjustments to your preexisting will. A codicil is a document that makes specific, limited amendments to your existing will, but leaves all other provisions unchanged. A codicil is simple, effective, and fully legal.
This information is not intended as legal, tax or investment advice. Please consult an attorney, tax professional or investment professional for such advice.